A fantastic mix of traditional North African music, camels, dance, and desert sands
www.festivalaudesert.org/Benin Voodoo Festival (Ouidah Festival): Ouidah, Benin
– A gathering in the seaside town of Ouidah that honors ancestors including those who were transported as slaves to the New World. The festival lasts ten days and culminates on the 10th.
Zora Neale Hurston Festival; Eatonville, Florida;
– Celebrate literature, arts, and humanities in the birthplace of author and anthropologist Zora Neale Hurston.
Festival of Pan-African film and television (FESPACO); Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
– Since 1969, the country of Burkina Faso has hosted this film festival whose mission is to promote African Cinema.
Carnival in Trinidad & Tobago:
– Celebrate a mix of cultures with parades, music, dancing, costumes and more!
Carnival in Rio: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil:
– Pure fun & celebration at one of the greatest shows on earth…carnival actually takes place in cities all over Brazil with the biggest being in Rio
Note: Carnival festivities begin two to four days before Ash Wednesday (sometimes in February), which changes every year, so be sure to check for current dates during the year in which you plan to attend
International Afro Music Festival; Würzburg, Germany
– Germany pays homage to its African culture & music hosting Europe’s largest African cultural event.
Juneteenth Celebrations; Various Locations throughout the USA:
– Juneteenth, also know as Emancipation Day, is a celebration of the abolition of slavery in the U.S. which take place throughout the month of June. Click below to find one in your state!
World Sacred Music Festival; Fes, Morocco
– A spiritual musical festival encouraging fun as well as self-discovery
Gnaoua Festival; Essaouira, Morocco
– Featuring the mystical Gnaoua trance music of North Africa, international musicians unite under the love of music that moves
– Canada’s own summer carnival; festivities throughout the last three weeks of July culminating into a parade and huge closing celebration during the final weekend on Aug 1-2.
Tobago Heritage Festival– Tobago
– The Tobago Heritage Festival is aptly described as the cultural
showpiece of the Caribbean. For two weeks,Tobago comes alive with a profusion of colorful costumes, rhythms,songs, and dances as natives celebrate traditional festivals. A predominantly African heritage stamps its signature on the culture of
the people, during these events at villages and community centers across the island.
Zanzibar International Film Festival
Zanzibar Cultural Festival
– Celebrate reggae with an amazing line up of reggae & soul music artists from around the world
– Six days of non-stop salsa workshops/classes, parties, concerts, and spectaculars on the beaches of Havana
– a festival celebrating the art of Africa & of the African Diaspora virtually a whole month long. 2010 info is still in the making…